24 Sep Non-profit GIS Entity Awarded Grant
In many of our older blog postings, we’ve taken time to introduce to you many GIS companies that offer very unique, innovative, and different products and services. We have profiled companies from all over the world, most notably from the United States, Australia, Taiwan, and Europe (primarily those from Ireland and the United Kingdom).
Keep in mind, however, that many of these business entities have been those that can be classified as “for profit,” meaning, of course, that they are in business to make money by offering their talents to customers who will purchase and make use of them.
Believe it or not, in the GIS world, there is a segment of the industry that is dominated by non-profit organizations as well. One such example of this is the New York State (NYS) GIS Association.
This entity has been created to serve the needs of the entire state, including New York City and the surrounding boroughs. The mission of the NYS GIS Association is as follows:
- To support the GIS profession as a whole.
- To create and foster a spirit between the education, government, and private enterprise sectors.
- To facilitate the exchange of information and ideas via the use of exhibitions and forums.
- To publish both business and education related documents as they pertain to Geographic Information Systems.
The association, at the present time, accepts all sorts of members — whether they are business entities, members of the academic community (such as faculty and students), C-Level Executives, technicians, etc. Currently, there are well over 600 members enrolled.
To help further support the cause and goals of the NYS GIS Association, it was announced this week that the Fund for The City of New York (FCNY) will be awarding them a $10,000 grant. It will be used for the following purposes:
- Creating computerized maps
- Asset Management
- Further enhancing emergency response and disaster services in New York
- Humanitarian aid, and other vital public functions
GeoTel is a telecommunications research and GIS mapping firm that researches and provides telecom datasets for more than 5,500 cities in the United States and worldwide. GeoTel’s expertise includes specialists in economic geography, geospatial engineering, web GIS, and telecommunications GIS Data infrastructure.